Featured Post

in sight counselling

My name is Keena Hudson and I have been a counsellor in the Sutherland Shire for 20 years. Making an appointment to see a counsellor c...

Friday, January 20, 2017

Counselling is scary - at first

Going to see someone about your problems is a very courageous thing to do. In fact many people would rather die than seek professional help – and sadly often do. Picking up the phone is the first hurdle – I’m ok really. I just have to try harder and it’ll be ok. My problem isn’t big enough. Heck, I don’t even know what the problem really is! I just feel bad, but it’s probably my fault. Counselling won’t make any difference. I’ve tried everything anyway.
The next big hurdle is turning up for the first time. What if I don’t like the counsellor? What will she think of me? I really don’t want to talk about this. Where do I start? What am I going to say?
Yes, it takes a lot of courage to go for counselling. The initial phone call and turning up for the first appointment I think are the worst parts. Once it’s started it should feel a little easier. I think she gets it. That wasn’t so bad. Maybe this could be helpful after all. I’m proud of myself for doing that. What a relief to finally get that off my chest.

It’s worth it to try counselling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment